As a candle specialist with a passion for all things aromatic, I’ve spent years exploring the world of scented candles. But what truly makes my home complete is my four-legged companion, a 4-year-old whippet who’s been with me since he was just a pup. Naturally, the question arose: Is it safe to indulge in my love for scented candles while ensuring my dog’s well-being? Over the years, I’ve gathered a wealth of knowledge on this subject, and I’m excited to share my tips with fellow pet parents who also have a penchant for candles.
The Importance of Being Informed
Before we dive into the tips, it’s crucial to understand why we need to be cautious. Pets have a more sensitive olfactory system compared to humans, and certain scents can be overwhelming or even harmful to them. Additionally, the ingredients in some scented candles can emit toxins when burned. Therefore, it’s essential to make informed choices.
Expert Tips for a Safe and Fragrant Home
Choose Natural Waxes
Opt for candles made from natural waxes like rapeseed, coconut, soy or beeswax. These options are not only eco-friendly but also produce fewer toxins when burned.
Read the Label
Always read the ingredients list. Avoid candles that contain benzene, or formaldehyde, as these can be harmful to pets.
Some essential oils used in scented candles are safer for pets. Lavender, chamomile, and frankincense are generally considered pet-friendly. However, always consult your vet before introducing new scents.
Proper Ventilation is Key
Make sure the room where you’re burning the candle is well-ventilated.
Use a sturdy candle holder and place it on a stable surface, well out of reach of your curious canine. I personally love placing my on hight table tops for added security.
Observe Your Pet
After burning a scented candle, keep an eye on your pet for any signs of discomfort, such as coughing, sneezing, or changes in behavior. If you notice anything unusual, consult your vet immediately.
If you’re still concerned about the potential risks, there are excellent alternatives like flameless LED candles.
Burning scented candles around pets, especially dogs, doesn’t have to be a no-go if you take the right precautions. As someone who has successfully balanced a love for aromatic ambiances with pet ownership, I can attest that a little knowledge and caution go a long way. Always prioritize your pet’s safety and consult your vet for personalized advice.
Here’s to a home that’s both fragrant and pet-friendly! Cheers!